Growing as a Cardinal is a six week program that first year students will participate in as soon as classes begin. The goals of the program are to help first year students adjust to Catholic U as smooth as possible and to help them become part of the campus community. Through this program, first year students will be introduced to a variety of resources the University offers. They will discover helpful people and places that they otherwise would not have known about. Growing as a Cardinal provides workshops, service opportunities, and social activities in order to help first year students gain knowledge and tools that will help them become a successful individual, not only in college, but also in future years to come. Administrators, faculty, staff, and students all participate in Growing as a Cardinal in order to give first year students the opportunity to acquire as many resources as possible.
As first year students, they will have the opportunity to attend events put on by student organizations and departments. There are six categories of events. Faith & Service, Intellectual Development, Wellness, Social Connections, Community & Responsibility, and Intercultural Understanding. A description of each of these are below. Once a first year attends two events from each of the six categories, they will be eligible to win some great prizes. The person who attends the most events will win the grand prize “The Presidential Treatment”.
Below are events that are a part of Growing as a Cardinal. This site will continue to be updated as more events are planned.
Red Line: Faith and Service
Programs on this line will allow students to learn about the Catholic faith, explore their personal beliefs, and engage in service to the Catholic U community and beyond.
Red Line Events
- 8/24 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 8/31 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 9/1 7pm Redefined Interest Meeting
- 9/2 7pm Bethlehem House Night
- 9/4 7pm RCIA - Info Session
- 9/5 10 am Virtual Sidewalk Prayer
- 9/7 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 9/10 5pm A Discussion on Eastern Christianity and Marriage
- 9/12 10am Virtual Sidewalk Prayer
- 9/13 7pm Gratia Plena's First Meeting
- 9/14 6pm Women's Gathering
- 9/14 7pm Encounter the Spirit
- 9/14 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 9/14 8am Habitat for Humanity Interest Meeting
- 9/15 6:30pm Woe To Me? Rethinking The Pharisees
- 9/15 7pm RCIA and Confirmation Information Session
- 9/16 7pm RCIA - Info Session
- 9/16 7pm Pro-Life, Pro-Science: Inside the Brain of the Unborn
- 9/17 5pm A Discussion on Eastern Christianity and Marriage
- 9/18 6pm RCIA Meeting
- 9/19 10am Virtual Sidewalk Prayer
- 9/20 11am The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) Weekly Meeting
- 9/20 7pm Who is the Blessed Virgin Mary?
- 9/21 6pm Women's Discernment
- 9/21 7pm Encounter the Spirit
- 9/21 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 9/21 8:30pm Men's Discernment
- 9/24 5pm A Discussion on Eastern Christianity and Marriage
- 9/25 6pm RCIA Meeting
- 9/26 10am Virtual Sidewalk Prayer
- 9/27 11am The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) Weekly Meeting
- 9/27 7pm The Lord's Prayer
- 9/28 6pm Women's Bible Study
- 9/28 7pm Encounter the Spirit
- 9/28 8pm Student-Athlete Bible Study
- 9/29 8pm Discussion Night: The History and Power of the St. Michael Prayer
- 9/29 8pm We CU in SPC
- 10/2 6pm RCIA Meeting
- 10/3 10am Virtual Sidewalk Prayer
- 10/4 11am The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) Weekly Meeting
Yellow Line: Intellectual Development
Programs on this line will challenge students to make the most of their academic endeavors while at Catholic U and provide them with the resources to do so.
Yellow Line Events
- 8/25 5pm Virtually Surviving Engineering
- 8/28 7pm Tower Student Newspaper Informational Meeting
- 9/3 7pm Interest Meeting Philosophy Club
- 9/8 12pm Resume Workshop (Business Majors)
- 9/8 3:30 CACS Military Affiliated Resume Workshop
- 9/9 12pm Resume Workshop (Engineering & Hard Sciences Majors)
- 9/9 5:30pm Honors Welcome Reception
- 9/10 12pm Resume Workshop (Nursing & Healthcare Majors)
- 9/10 6pm Conversations with Intelligence Professionals: Dr. Jim Ellis, on Intelligence Analysis
- 9/11 12:30pm Resume Workshop (Liberal Arts Majors)
- 9/16 8pm Catholic U Investment Club - First General Meeting
- 9/21 5pm How to work a Career Fair?
- 9/22 9am Resume Review Day (All Majors)
- 9/22 5pm AI Interviewing Workshop “What You Should Know About AI Interviewing”
- 9/23 9am Resume Review Day (All Majors)
- 9/23 4:30pm Latinx in Science and Academics
- 9/23 6:30pm KPMG Virtual Panel Event
- 9/23 7pm Knives Out Film Discussion
- 9/24 2nd Annual Hire A Cardinal Networking Event
- 9/25 10am Fall 2020 Semi Annual Virtual Career Fair
- 9/28 6:30pm Perreo Study Hour
- 9/30 1pm Perreo Study Hour
Blue Line: Wellness
Programs on this line will assist students in their personal development and promote ways to remain safe and healthy on campus.
Blue Line Events
- 8/29 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
- 8/31 11am Fitting in: Navigating CUA as a Non-Traditional Student
- 9/4 6pm House Cooking Show
- 9/5 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
- 9/6 6pm CUA Dance Company First Meeting
- 9/8 8:30pm Active Minds Info and Interest Session
- 9/12 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
- 9/14 12pm What's Going On?
- 9/19 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
- 9/21 12pm What's Going On?
- 9/23 12pm Dietitian Talk Series
- 9/23 6:30pm Suicide Prevention & Awareness with Dr. Jobes
- 9/26 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
- 9/28 12pm What's Going On?
- 10/3 10am Faith and Fitness Workouts
Orange Line: Social Connections
Programs on this line will provide opportunities for students to meet each other, make connections, build relationships, and have fun.
Orange Line Events
- 8/24 7pm How to use The Nest
- 8/26 5:30pm Notes of Kindness Interest Meeting
- 8/26 6pm Student Organization of Latinos (SOL) Social
- 8/27 7pm The Real on BSA
- 8/27 7pm Mock Trial Interest Meeting
- 8/27 8:30pm Virtual Movies on the Mall
- 8/28 6pm House Zoom Challenge
- 8/28 6pm Kahoot Kickback
- 8/31 7pm Buzzfeed Quiz Party!
- 9/1 6:30pm Chem Club Virtual Welcome Dinner
- 9/1 7pm Mock Trial Interest Meeting
- 9/1 7pm Welcome Back Meeting Operation Smile
- 9/1 7pm How to use The Nest
- 9/2 12pm Virtual Lunch with Alpha Phi Omega!
- 9/2 6:30pm Positive and Inspirational Quotes
- 9/2 7pm Cardinals for Life Welcome Meeting and Social
- 9/2 7pm Chess Night & Meet the Coach!
- 9/3 5:30pm Catholic U Discovers D.C. Interest Meeting
- 9/3 7pm Young Americans for Freedom Interest Meeting
- 9/3 8pm Jackbox Game Night with Alpha Phi Omega!
- 9/3 8pm CUA Nite Live: Welcome Back Trivia & Bingo
- 9/8 12:30pm Virtual Lunch with Alpha Phi Omega!
- 9/8 4pm Fall Involvement Fair
- 9/8 7pm First General Body Meeting
- 9/9 6pm Welcome to NeW!
- 9/9 7:30pm Get Psyched!
- 9/10 7:30pm Cardinal Cooking
- 9/11 6pm Outdoor Movie
- 9/15 7pm Office Hours: Dems Declassified
- 9/17 7:30pm Men's Movie Club Meeting
- 9/17 8pm Game Night with the Medieval Society
- 9/18 6pm Metro Madness/Scavenger Hunt
- 9/22 8pm Bring-Your-Own Ice Cream Social!
- 9/23 7pm Playing Chess in a Virtual World
- 9/23 7:30pm September General Body Meeting The Cooper Herzfeld Society
- 9/23 8pm Jeopardy
- 9/24 7pm Intro into Ultimate Frisbee!
- 9/24 7pm Young Americans for Freedom General Body Meeting
- 9/25 6pm House Olympics
- 9/26 1pm Chess Club Fall Virtual Tournament Open
- 9/20 7pm General Body Meeting Pre-Law Society
- 10/1 8pm Kevin Blake: Magician
Green Line: Community and Responsibility
Programs on this line will explore what it means to be in community and how each student is responsible for contributing to a positive community at Catholic U.
Green Line Events
- 8/28 6pm Virtual Info Session/Q&A
- 9/3 6:30pm Student Government Association Virtual Information Session
- 9/3 7pm The Student Service Panel
- 9/2 7pm Campus Sustainability
- 9/4 7pm Get to Know Catholic UN!
- 9/7 5pm Student Government Association Virtual Information Session
- 9/9 5:30pm More Love Letters Project
- 9/9 7pm March For Our Lives CUA Welcome Meeting!
- 9/9 7pm Catholic U Leadership Panel
- 9/10 5pm First Year Leadership Academy Interest Meet and Greet
- 9/10 7:30pm Environmental Justice with the Franciscan Monastery Garden!
- 9/12 9am Freshman Retreat
- 9/15 6:30pm First Year Leadership Academy
- 9/16 3:30pm Major Keys
- 9/17 7pm CUA on Demand
- 9/17 7pm Conversation with Rep. Mike Thompson
- 9/19 9am Mother Teresa Day of Service
- 9/21 7pm Exploring the Ocean
- 9/23 3:30pm Major Keys
- 9/30 3:30pm Major Keys
Silver: Intercultural Understanding
Programs on this line will challenge students to explore their cultural identity, learn about cultures different from their own, and gain an understanding of the impact of culture on society.
Silver Line Events
- 9/1 3pm The Civility Dialogues: Black Maternal Health
- 9/2 5pm Geographical Hangout with Student Organization of Latinos
- 9/3 7pm Filipino Organization of Catholic University Students Interest Meeting
- 9/7 1:30 Musica Maestro
- 9/8 3pm The Civility Dialogues: Dynamics of Coming Out
- 9/1 3pm The Civility Dialogues
- 9/10 5pm Disability Culture Club First General Meeting
- 9/10 6pm The PWI Experience
- 9/10 6pm International Affairs Association Interest Meeting
- 9/22 3pm The Civility Dialogues
- 9/22 5pm German Conversation Table/Kaffeestunde
- 9/23 7pm International Affairs Association Office Hours
- 9/26 9am Men's Day of Reflection
- 9/29 3pm The Civility Dialogues
- 9/29 7pm What is Catalonia?
- 10/1 5pm Cooking con i Capi!